Sunday, September 1, 2024

Compilations albums 1989-1998 II

As you can imagine, I wasn't able to fit in every entry that qualified for this list on my previous post, here's the rest of the list which I've released concurrently with the first half.

This didn't have the best selection of songs to promote the midpoint of the year, as such it wasn't quite as successful as the other entries we've looked at already.

Peak position #2

Hit singles

Show no mercy #8
Can't stop falling into love #26
The power #13
Tell me a story #17
I still haven't found what I'm looking for #26
Everybody everybody #35
Getting away with it #40
Harley + rose #24
Walk on fire #48
Only my heart calling #46
Lily was here #10
Heart in danger #5
Amanda #24

This was naturally going to be a success given how autumn was an excellent time for our music scene given the selection of music on display here.

Peak position #2

Hit singles

You belong to me #4
Speed #16
Axel f #42
Love is all around #24
The bomb #11
Let it rain #12
When I was a sperm #26
White lines #20
Whoops now #49
I wanna be down #12
4PM #3
On bended knee #7
Strong enough #3
Be firm #25
Picture postcards from LA #46
Hang around #48
Everything Zen #41

This has some competition with 100% hits annual entry from 1995, although it appears neither album was able to win us Aussies over that much as both failed to bring in the big numbers their earlier entries did in their respective series.

Peak position #2

Hit singles

Everybody on the floor #6
Forever young #15
Sky high #8
Don't stop #5
Baby baby #7
Party #20
I've got a little something for you #7
Here comes the hotstepper #2
If you love me #12
Hey girl #14
Back for good #1
Put yourself in my place #11
Evidence #37
Trick with a knife #37
A girl like you #6
Heaven help my heart #22
Ain't nobody #16
Alice who the f**k is Alice #2

This was another remix album that did big numbers on the AMR charts as well as ARIA's compilation charts this year, this time it's the fourth entry of the short-lived Central energy series which became a huge hit right before the Wild series launched with its earlier entry on this list.

Peak position #2

If you're wondering why TV presenter Kerry Anne Kennerley is on the cover of this compilation album, that's because this is the second album with this very name to be released here in Australia throughout the 90's, the first being a massive flop from earlier in the decade. Kerry's presence is also her endorsement for the album which is likely how it managed to find success upon its release.

Peak position #2

This album covers the summer period of 97/98 which allows it to be a decent success despite failing to live up to the standards of the Hit machine franchise.
 
Peak position #2

Hit singles

As long as you love me #2
It's like that #1
Barbie girl #1
Did it again #15
How do I live #3
People get ready #35
Meet her at the love parade #21
Mo money mo problems #10
Stay #24
Beachball #33
Ooh la la #33
Kiss you all over #47
If I didn't love you #41
Show me love #34
Buddha baby #40
Good times #28

This is another album I'll be featuring on this site that by all accounts shouldn't qualify for this list as it failed to appear on the AMR year end charts, however I'm allowing it because I want to include every seasonal compilation on this site since the early 80's to compare and contrast how well they all did with each other.

Peak position #3

Hit singles

Humping around #1
Too funky #3
The magic friend #16
Don't you want me #17
Rock your baby #38
Sesame's treet #4
Without you #18
It's not over #15
Impossible to fly #48
I ain't gonna eat out my heart anymore #19
What kind of fool #17
Motor city #26
Sometimes love just ain't enough #5
What's wrong with the girl #45
Ain't love the strangest thing #46
Faith #29
Boy in the moon #21

Given how this was released ten years after the 70's had come to an end, it makes sense it would be a minor success here in Australia seeing as though it had the trends of the moment as well as nostalgia to cash in on.

Peak position #1x1

This is a compilation album consisting of songs that became big hits here in Australia, the line is mostly musicians of colour with the occasional nonblack artist, suggesting this was meant to appeal to our urban market which explains why it wasn't any bigger than it was.

Peak position #2

This was a collection of EDM tracks that bombed here in Australia, naturally it wasn't that big of a success here although it did seem like the perfect mashup release to cash in on the genre's success.

Peak position #3

Given how disco had begun to receive its well-deserved re-evaluation around this time, it makes sense that there would be disco compilations finding success which was the case for this entry which was one of the few to receive an international release and not be region locked.

Peak position #2

This wound up being a dud for the 100% hits series here in Australia, I'm guessing because it had some competition with the Smash hits entry from earlier which prevented it from being as big as the other annual released from this series.

Peak position #3

Hit singles

Ode to my family #5
All I wanna do #1
Insensitive #1
Coma #14
Let her cry #5
Warped #12
Somebody's crying #5
Beautiful in my eyes #5
Stay another day #3
I'll make love to you #1
4PM #3
Baby come back #11
I wanna be down #12
My love is for real #7
This is how we do it #7
The bomb #11
You belong to me #4

Remember the good old days where there were rock festivals for us to check out? Homebake was one of those events as they put on quite the show this year which led to the event releasing this album to cash in on its success.

Peak position #4

Given the surprise success of Triple J's first hot 100 CD, it makes sense they would branch out into the compilation market which continued with this themed album which collected a bunch of tracks from alternative bands which they deemed as "a very loud compilation."

Peak position #1x2

This was the first of the grammy nominees’ albums that the ceremony released, it was a decent success here in Australia even though the series would become lucrative with its second release the following year.

Peak position #2

We have another themed compilation on this list, this time it's for the movies which seemed lucrative enough to allow this become a success here in Australia. This is also another album that was released internationally which was becoming more of a phenomenon as the twentieth century was coming to an end.

Peak position #2

This is the second compilation album to be themed around older crooner ballads, in this case these are ballads from the 60's which obviously resonated with us Aussies to allow it to be a moderate success.

Peak position #3

I guess you can consider this the third entry on the Premiere collection series from Andrew Lloyd Webber as this too curiously only charted on ARIA's compilation charts instead of the main charts here in Australia.

Peak position #1x1

It appears that the market for queer friendly music was lucrative enough in 1998 to allow this to become a moderate success here in Australia that year, who knows how many of these found success moving forwards as admittedly information about successful compilations here in Australia is scare from here on out.

Peak position #1x1

This section includes albums from the second half of 1998 that I'd like to include on the main list if I had access to the charts from the second half of that year.

At least the Hit machine franchise had decent songs to include on their albums this year, this wasn't the case for the 100% series which really struggled to include worthy choices which costed them their success.

Peak position #???

Hit singles

Stop #5
I get lonely #21
Bamboogie #29
Never ever #1
Fly #31
Sex and candy #8
Not if you were the last junkie on earth #47
You're still the one #1
Cleopatra's theme #25
The impression that I get #11
The ballad of tom jones #46
Weird #12
I never loved you anyway #31
Black bugs #32

Autumn of this year was an interesting time for the Hit machine franchise, so much so that this entry managed to be a massive success despite its lower placement among these albums.

Peak position #???

Hit singles

Torn #2
All I have to give #4
Getting jiggy with it #6
5 6 7 8 #1
Maria #1
Fight for your right #12
Breathe #23
All cried out #11
Too close #12
Now I can dance #13
Cry #13
Pash #10
Gotta be moving on up #13
All night all right #30
It's tricky #14
Dammit #34
Brimful of Asha #35
I don't ever want to see you again #36

This is the most successful entry in the Wild FM series (at least during AMR's run) given how it almost managed to top the charts like the seasonal compilations on this list. Although we'll never truly know, I'm curious to see how lucrative this series would be if they were incorporated on ARIA's main chart.

Peak position #???

This was far and away the most successful Triple J album during the 90's, it was twice as big as the rest of the albums so far and was a sign that the stations influence was only going to continue to grow I the new millennium. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is true for sure as this was the last year where the AMR charts existed as they ceased publication in 1999, as such I'll be using the ARIA album charts from here on out which unfortunately excludes all of these albums from their rankings.

Peak position #???

We have another RNB compilation finding success here in Australia throughout the decade, once again this increased our acceptance of the genre right as the twentieth century was coming to an end which ensured that musicians of colour would go on to dominate our charts in the 21st century in a way they were unable to prior to the 90's.

Peak position #???

We looked at the fourth entry in this series from earlier on this list, it appears that the sixth entry was also a decent success for the Central energy franchise even if it took a back seat to the Wild FM series in terms of remix compilations.

Peak position #???

There were no signs of the Wild series slowing down here in Australia as this spinoff from the franchise managed to achieve moderate success around the time that entry five was making its mark on our music scene.

Peak position #???

Winter was a hectic time for this franchise, this album was only slightly less successful than the previous entry but was a massive hit regardless.

Peak position #???

Hit singles

The cup of life #1
When the lights go out #2
This is how we party #7
Last thing on my mind #5
All my life #1
Turn back time #10
Feel it #19
Lonely #40
Beloved #49
Sway #10
Twisted #19
La primavera #36

This is the final compilation album I'll be featuring on this site, mainly because the AMR charts ceased by the end of this year and ARIA didn't bother releasing their compilation charts until the 21st century.

Peak position #???

Hit singles

Kung fu fighting #15
Crush on you #9
Go deep #39
Casanova #18
Thinking of you #6
The grease megamix #27
Life ain't easy #37
All my life #1
Dreams #47
High #1
I know where it's at #12
Turn back time #10
Polyester girl #14
The rascal king #40
Road rage #40
The way #14

We Aussies have always loved a good pub anthem, the radio station Triple M decided to cash in on this love by releasing this compilation album collecting 30 of the best pub anthems to make it big down under which resulted in its massive success.

Peak position #???

This is the most recent album I'll be featuring from the Wild FM series; it was a huge success right before the AMR charts went defunct, meaning that I don't even know the full extent of its popularity from back in the day.

Peak position #??? (#3 AMR)


It turns out that Qantas decided to release a Christmas album in celebration of the holiday seasons of 1998, it was a huge success upon its initial release and likely would've made my 1999 year-end list had AMR continued tracking albums for the remainder of the decade.

Peak position #??? (#10 AMR)

This will be the most recent compilation album I'll be featuring on this site as it was the last new entry on the AMR charts before they went defunct, it's another double album as it serves as both a year end list for 1998 as well as the spring collection for the 100% series.

One final trivia for this list is that this is the first compilation album I bought, meaning this was the album that initially got me into music growing up.

Peak position #??? (#10 AMR)

Hit singles

The boy is mine #3
Viva forever #2
High #1
Lady marmalade #5
Because we want to #19
Music sounds better with you #4
One week #16
Da ya think I'm sexy #3
Crush on you #9
All my life #1
Sunchyme #22
Grease megamix #27
I never loved you anyway #31
Don't you know who I am #24
Pure morning #49
Kung fu fighting #15
The impression that I get #11
The drugs don't work #22
Tubthuming #1
Barbie girl #1
It's like that #1
Polyester girl #14
I wanna be the only one #10
Foolish games #12
Together again #4
You sexy thing #6
Fight for your right #12
Life ain't easy #37
Next time #21
The day you come #25
Fly #31
Tear drop #16
Casanova #18
Sex and candy #8
I don't like it #10

Here's two more entries to complete the seasonal compilation run from this period.

Well, this is tragic, we have the first seasonal compilation to be a complete flop since 1981, I'm including this on my site because I feel these entries are an excellent way of grouping together what was popular here in Australia in any given year.

Hit singles

Confide in me #1
Do you wanna get funky #11
Voodoo people #24
Gimme #14
Fantastic voyage #37
Ain't nobody #17
7 seconds #3
Stay #6
Breathe again #2
I miss you #44
Walkaway lover #35
Black book #25
Lay your love on me #26
Love ain't here anymore #38
Wild flowers #41
Tighten up your pants #39

It's hard to know how successful this latest release from Hit machine is given how the AMR charts ceased right as it was gaining steam back in the day, however I'd like to imagine it was a huge success given how many huge hits it collected during the spring of 1998 (that and it was accredited platinum by ARIA.)

Hit singles

Buses and trains #4
C'est la vie #6
Everybody get up #5
Big mistake #6
I'll never break your heart #10
Ladidi ladida #15
Cruel #14
The things I love in you #10
Horny #13
I still love you #31
Crazy little party girl #20
The first night #30
God is a DJ #37
I think I'm paranoid #12
Cowboy style #39
One for sorrow #34
Jackie #37
Freak me #43

No comments:

Post a Comment

Biggest hits in NZ late 00's IV

This list covers the second half of the 00's in NZ as I felt it was unfair to compare the first half of the decade to the second half du...